Friday, March 2, 2007

My Reaction to Bob's Vlog about SLCC

This is my first blog after three vlogs because I am here at work without a camera. Anyway, here is my reaction to Bob's vlog about SLCC.

I am glad that Dr. Davila provided the topic of SLCC in his vlog. It is good to hear him stress that Gallaudet University is an ASL advocacy all the way unlike the previous president.

It is also good to hear that ASL/Deaf study department is expanding and HSLS, Hearing Speech and Language Science department does NOT endorse the medical-pathological view of deafness.

About the floor plan, it looks fishy that HSLS has MUCH more floor space than ASL/Deaf study. I think it is time for us to learn more about HSLS like how many staff/faculty in the department and what exactly they do. Do they communicate in ASL? Questions like that would help us make educated decisions than jump to conclusion.

What still bothers me is the postcard that emphasizes the part, "PRIMARY in speech and hearing". I would suggest for SLCC committee to rewrite to include ASL and send new postcards. Then maybe I will contribute some $$$.

Any comments, feedbacks or more information to add are more than welcome.

Tad

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, dont send money until we get new postcards! Everything is fishy. Dont believe everything gallaudet tries to tell us.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking exactly what you said. We should ask Gallaudet to re-do the postcard to assure that they meant business. It is time for Gallaudet to "walk their talk"!

Tad - good one - it will be even better if it was done in vlog! :)

Unknown said...

Tad and Joey, try to think how put positive comment about gallaudet instead negative. let gallaudet committee do best for all depts together to communicate and learn each other. Get your negative or fishy attitude out and dont make our waste time for your fishy thought. Find your good thought on your Vblog. Wise Up!

Sonny James said...

I appreciated Davila devoted his vlog to explain further about the SLCC with two guests. However, I was disappointed that he didn't apologize for the postcard mishap that didn't mention ASL at all. As we've all discussed all over the blogs/vlogs.

Anonymous said...

Mark...
Oh no Joey and Tad are not saying negatives here as we are just expressing our thoughts ..about that post card they should know better..
Gally is ASL community and why beg us $$$ to donate for audiologist/ speech we do not want them because we are true ASL.. why bother donate money to other than ASL?
SB

Judge said...

Even though I never went to Gallaudet, but I can smell something fishy.

Sometime last fall, the Gallaudet people called my home (bec my wife went gally) and asked for the donation on SLCC brick. My wife refused and said we re donating to one scholarship fund only. No SLCC!

The $64k question, will the Gallaudet re-do the postcard and re-send out the cards all over again ??

My answer would be.. They *should*

Barb DiGi said...

Hi Tad,

Well, first of all, in my opinion, ASL should not even be in the same building with speech and auditory training areas. Why? ASL is a language, not a training method therefore it should be planted in an English building where STUDIES take place not training.

Sorenson is an icon for visual technology just like Bell is an icon for listening assistive devices. So the way I see it this is in an equivalent term as opposed to ASL studies and Speech/Auditory training that are chunked together.

If I have it in my way, we should be having a center where ASL and English studies are placed as language studies in respect.

Kathy Hughes said...

hi I agree with what Joey B said about Gallaudet.. u know how smart they are to smell something fishy.It is time to clean up the stinky dishonesty plan.ASL is the answer to everything ...KH

Anonymous said...

Barb,


Audiology, speech pathologists, and the Sorenson Center doesn't belong at Gallaudet.

Audiology and speech pathology is medical, and belongs in a clinic separate from an university.

Just like religion has no place in schools, that audiology crap has no place in an educational institution.

The fact that Gally has that crap there suggests that Gally condones audism.

I'd say more, but I have a feeling that I won't be heard. So what's the point?

Anonymous said...

ASC's reaction to Bob's Vlog

http://www.ascdeaf.com/blog/?p=293

Media Psychology: Bob's SLCC Vlog